Here are the rules for the Pie Contest:
1. Contestants must be able to come to Hawley, Massachusetts, on October 9 by 11 a.m. If you are unable to attend the actual contest, you may send your entry with a representative. You will be eligible for some prizes but not for the first-place award. Contestants must bring enough pie to serve at least eight people and must march in the PIE PARADE. (If finalists are coming from far away, they may arrange to reheat their entries in local kitchens.)
2. All recipes must be from original sources. That is, the formula for your own apple pie or your Aunt Myrtle’s sweet-potato pie is eligible. A recipe from a book is not.
3. Ingredients must be listed in the order used in the recipe. All ingredients listed must be used in the recipe instructions.
4. Recipes will not be returned. The Sons & Daughters of Hawley and the Merry Lion Press reserve the right to reprint all recipes. No pie will be accepted in the contest without a recipe.
5. This is a men’s pie contest, open to people who are men/boys or identify as such. If someone enters dressed as a man who is known NOT to do so in general, that person’s pie will be ineligible to win first place.
PLEASE NOTE: IF YOU WISH TO ENTER THE CONTEST, PLEASE BRING ALONG A COOLER. SOME OF OUR PRIZES ARE PERISHABLE!